Member of Parliament for Mid Sussex
Sir Nicholas Soames was first elected in 1983. He has represented Mid Sussex since 1997 and he previously served as MP for Crawley.
His Ministerial career included serving as Parliamentary Secretary at the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food from 1992-1994 and as Minister of State for the Armed Forces from 1994-1997.
Between November 2003 and May 2005 Nicholas served in the Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Secretary of State for Defence.
He was made a Privy Counsellor in July 2011, and knighted in May 2014.
He has specialist and detailed knowledge in the fields of defence, Europe, international affairs, trade and industry, aviation and the countryside.
He is Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Game and Wildlife Conservation, a Trustee of the Amber Foundation, sits on the Council of the Royal United Services Institute and the Court of the University of Sussex.
Sir Nicholas was born in 1948 and was educated at St. Aubyns, Sussex, Eton College and Mons Officer Cadet School. He is the son of The Late Lord Soames and grandson of Sir Winston Churchill. He is married with two sons and a daughter and lives in the constituency.
After leaving school he was commissioned into the 11th Hussars [PAO] and served in Germany and the United Kingdom. He was subsequently Equerry to HRH The Prince of Wales KG KT GCB.
He worked as a Stockbroker before becoming Personal Assistant to Sir James Goldsmith, where he gained valuable experience in the manufacturing, service and finance industries in both the USA and Europe.
Sir Nicholas worked on the staff of a United States Senator in Washington D.C for two years and then joined a firm of Lloyds Brokers as a Director.
His hobbies include reading, racing, watching rugby and country pursuits. He has travelled widely.
Amongst many local bodies with which Nicholas is associated are:
- President – East Grinstead Target Shooting Club
- President – Mid Sussex Conservative Club
- President - Mid Sussex District Scouts
- President – Haywards Heath Rugby Football Club (HHRFC)
- President – Staplefield Cricket Club
- President – South of England Hound Show
- Vice President – St Catherine’s Hospice
- Deputy Vice President – Sussex Cattle Society
- Member of the Court of the University of Sussex
- Member of the Council of the South of England Agricultural Society
- Member of the Council for the Protection of Rural England
- Patron of No24 Burgess Hill Detachment Sussex Army Cadet Force
- Honorary President of 172 Haywards Heath Squadron (air cadets)
- Founding member of the Burgess Hill Business Parks Association
- Founding member of the East Grinstead Business Association
- Founding member of the Haywards Heath & District Business Association
- Patron of reMEmber (The Chronic Fatigue Society)
- Patron of Action for Deafness
- Patron of Group B Strep Support
- Council of the Royal United Services Institute